A Climb Up The Infinite Staircase: What you will see in this book
- A comprehensive reply to a very simple question: “What is going on?”
- A narrative of creation as miraculous as any religious text has ever presented
- An unexpected bridge between metaphysics and ethics
- A path to finding spiritual support within science as opposed to apart from it
- A foundation for ethics independent of divine authority or sacred texts
The infinite staircase is a framework for summarizing our current understanding of life end to end—from the mindless matter of physics and chemistry to the matterless mind of analytics and theory. It’s organized around a hierarchy of systems, a modern-day equivalent to the classical Great Chain of Being. Here is the staircase in full:
Each stair in the framework represents a level of reality that emerges from the stairs below it and supports the emergence of the stairs above. Thus, chemistry emerges from physics, for example, as does theory from analytics. More controversially, however, does consciousness really emerge from desire? Do values and culture really emerge before language? Is narrative really a prerequisite for analytics? These are all claims the framework makes, and you’ll have plenty of chances to decide for yourself how valid they might be.